[extropy-chat] Cryonics questions...

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed May 10 12:12:08 UTC 2006

On 5/9/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Another possibility my custom version of Kurzweil's notion of inloading.

Spike, to be fair I think you should credit the people who first created and
explored these ideas.  E.g.
1) Drexler, in Chapter 9 in EoC [1] (1986);
2) Drexler, Peterson & Pergamit in Chapter 10 of UtF (1991) [2]
2) Merkle, in various papers about Cryonics [3,4] (~1994-present);
3) Freitas, in Nanomedicine Vol. 1. [5] (1999) for providing clearer
pictures of how this might work;
4) Numerous discussions on the Extropian list, the sci.cryonics list and
other lists for 1-2 decades as people worked out various aspects of the
processes;
5) Many other examples of those who work within the cryonics community as
well as a large community of neuroscientists who are figuring out how the
brain works as well as the computer scientists developing hardware &
software showing that parts of it can emulated relatively easily.

While Ray is a great integrator and distiller of concepts there is
relatively little that he brings to the table to expand on ideas that are
10-20 years old which I would consider to be "novel".  In particular Ralph's
Cryonics page [4] points to a long list of prior work.  Ray simply
contributes an update on the progress which anyone following the areas is
well aware of.

If you are going to wax creative with the ideas (Kurzweil's spin on
"inloading" -- perhaps better would be "crossloading") it would be useful if
you would cite *precisely* where they are outlined, in this case I suspect
TSIN, so that people could clearly identify them and compare and contrast
what you are citing and what you are "improving" on [6].

Robert
1. http://www.foresight.org/EOC/EOC_Chapter_9.html
2. http://www.foresight.org/UTF/Unbound_LBW/chapt_10.html
3. http://www.merkle.com/cryo/techFeas.html
3. http://www.merkle.com/cryo/
5. http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI.htm
6. I'll note as an unrelated aside, one reason for including citations of
authoritative sources is so that the ExI archives can be searched by the
various robots and the sources will receive higher rankings in page searches
by novices (Anna, being perhaps a case in point) and the people who try to
distill the "world of information" into reviews or summaries that end up in
pages like those in Wikipedia will have an easier time of it (and hopefully
get it right).  I would predict that over the next couple of decades much of
the knowledge and "world view" in these areas will be derived from
dicussions by ourselves and many people who are within 1-2 levels of
relatedness.