[extropy-chat] no electronics at Singularity Summit???

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed May 10 22:16:56 UTC 2006

On 5/10/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Many of us multi-task quite well and are adept at catching the new
> and paying attention to the new in a presentation while doing other
> things at other points.

I run roleplaying games over IRC, and I remember some years ago being
disconcerted when I became aware that some of the players, particularly
among the younger American crowd, were doing things like watching television
or chatting on a few message channels simultaneously while playing the game.
I quickly realized, though, that I was being irrational. My expectations had
been learned in earlier times when we were all sitting face to face around a
table and nobody had laptops, but the reality was that these people were
capable of fully participating in the game and doing other things
simultaneously; and if my expectations didn't match current reality, then it
was my expectations that needed to change. Perhaps a similar change is
needed in this context?