[extropy-chat] privacy rights

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat May 13 05:38:03 UTC 2006

I am an openness advocate because I am in some ways a special case: I have
nothing in my past I want to hide.  (Except perhaps my ExI posts.  {8^D)
Likewise my wife has nothing that requires privacy, but while an openness
advocate, I do not wish to peer into other people's privacy.  I can think of
a zillion perfectly legitimate reasons for not being open.  While I may sign
up for openness, young Isaac may not.  My openness compromises his privacy.
I don't yet know if he will be a privacy fanatic; he isn't born yet.

This next generation thing has me thinking bigtime: I have pondered
abandoning the nickname spike, which I have carried for over 20 years now,
and carried through my entire professional career.  Reasoning: I could leave
behind all traces of everything I have ever posted on the internet.

For instance, I cannot be certain I never blammisphied online any religion
that could have adherents who may akbar a knife between my ribs at any
future date.  I think all my blammisphy has been restricted to the common
domestic varieties of religion, but I honestly cannot recall.  The internet
never forgets.  Unthinkable scenario: if Iran and Israel go at it with nukes
in the next few years, we could end up with a million Tarheel jehadists like
Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar.  I could see the wisdom in becoming invisible, or
having no memetic past.  Everyone should have that option.