[extropy-chat] Spike's Aeroplanes Puzzle

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat May 13 16:03:43 UTC 2006

Ben -

Typing on my wireless, so I'll be concise.

I can improve yr 3 plane soln. Let the 1st plane transfer r/3 its fuel
to the 2nd plane. Then the 2 planes fly an additional r/9. The 2nd plane
transfers 4r/9 to the final plane. This fills the final plane & leaves
the 2nd plane w/ 4r/9 in its tanks so it can fly home. This gives a
range of 13r/9.

But for a globe we can do better. Let the 2nd helper plane fly the
opposite direction. The 1st helper transfers r/3 as usual. This gives
the main plane a range of 4r/3. The 2nd plane flies r/3, meets the 1st
as it is running out, xfers r/3, and both fly back. This gives a range
of 5r/3, so r = 0.6 of the circumference.

I was not sure how to generalize to N planes for the circular case,
although for a straight line I think the increment goes down by a factor
of 3 for each added plane.

Hal