[extropy-chat] privacy rights

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 14 01:34:46 UTC 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> [Hi, by the way!]

Hey!  Long time no post.

> So, what can we do? First, giving lots of power to the police isn't a
> problem if we can trust the police to serve us. Hence each new power
> should be coupled with an increase in citizen control over the agency.
> Accountability and transparency in exchange for more power. This is
> not an
> impossible political goal, although at present it is rare and
> implementing
> it will always be uphill.

If the State has more or less complete awareness of everything
everyone does then the State is also fully aware of any actions by
anyone or any group of people that may thwart its desires.  If
citizens do no also have an equal level of view of everything the
State does then the State will always be able to outmaneuver the
citizens.  Also, the State as maker of laws, can always find and use
or even create new laws to punish or stop persons and groups that are
too troublesome to its desires.  Full surveillance makes this much
easier.  The police are the enforcement arm of the State.   The
police cannot be trusted to serve us because the serve the State and
the State is not perfectly in our control and likely never can be.

> Most of the privacy abuses we worry about come from two directions.
> Concentrations of power like corporations and state, and people in our
> close social network. We can use laws and politics against the first,
> enforcing transparency, accountability and maybe paying back
> externalities
> of privacy loss. The second group is much trickier, because no law can
> protect you from the scorn of your sister or a disapproving mother.
> And I
> think most of the privacy debate has been so obsessed with one's
> favorite
> power concentration that we have missed the very real chilling
> effects of
> creating a transparent village.

I am unsure what you are advocating on the first.  Transparency of
the state to the people?  The state will never agree to this.    Laws
can much more easily protect us from actual harm from our fellow
citizens.  Their mere disapproval is another matter that I doubt we
need laws against.  But it is not everyone's business what I do.  I
see no reason to make it my neighbor or the state's business.  I also
don't believe the perhaps implicit assumption that privacy cannot be
guarded by technology as well as taken away.

- samantha