[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue May 16 07:38:18 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace

> My point is that if it does [the singularity], it will have to be
> sufficiently far off and in a world sufficiently odd to begin with, that
> we can't predict it with any sort of accuracy, so any attempt to draw up
> Singularity policy in 2006 will be worse than useless.

Maybe the singularity is close, maybe it is distant, I just don't know, but
even if it happens a thousand years from now in 999 years the singularity
will still seem very distant, but more things will happen in that final year
than the 999 that preceded it. So whenever the singularity happens it will
be a big surprise to everybody. I agree, making elaborate plans for the
singularity is not very useful, and making plans for the post singularity is
downright ridiculous.

  John K Clark