[extropy-chat] Microsoft (was: singularity conference atstanford)

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 11:11:03 UTC 2006

> On May 16, 2006, at 12:13 AM, John K Clark wrote:
>
>> "Alfio Puglisi" <alfio.puglisi at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Eugen's mail program sends perfectly standard-compliant multipart
>>> messages. If Outlook Express can't handle them, that's Microsoft
>>> fault, as
>>> usual.
>>
>> Like it or not Outlook Express is the most used mail program on planet
>> Earth, and as the entire point of mail programs is communication I
>> tend to
>> think the problem is with Eugen and not with me.
>
> Lots of things are widely used that have serious flaws that
> occasionally cause problems.   The problem seem to be not with Eugen
> or you but with a disconnect between relevant standards and what
> Outlook in some configuration and circumstances actually does.

It's very simple. Either Leitl wants to have his messages read by Outlook Express
users by using a different mail program or not. It's his personal decision. After
all, it is always the audience that does the author the favor by reading his/her
stuff, not the other way around. It's not the audience that should change. I
certainly almost never had the patience for opening these attachments.

H.