[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 12:02:34 UTC 2006

Russel:
"What I advocate is acknowledging that relevant policy discussion is not yet
possible, and that it should be considered not a political problem but a
purely technical one, until the technology actually delivers something of
substance, thereby providing information that can feed a _meaningful_ policy
discussion. If regulations are to be proposed, then let them be proposed at
that later date when there's some prayer of them being based at least partly
on fact rather than fantasy."

It sounds to me like you don't have much faith in hard take-off. Is this correct?
But if you do, then don't you think that by the time recursively self-improving AI
is born, it will be too late for any discussion about policy?

H.