[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue May 16 20:39:53 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> It is rather reminiscent of someone lecturing me on how, if I don't
> believe in Christ, Christ will damn me to hell.  But Christians have at
> least the excuse of being around numerous other people who all believe
> exactly the same thing, so that they are no longer capable of noticing
> the dependency on their assumptions, or of properly comprehending that
> another might share their assumptions.

*ahem* Given that in both cases I'm the one _failing_ to believe in the
imminent manifestation of deity on Earth via never-observed processes, I
think your analogy has one of those "minus sign switched with plus sign"
bugs ;)

And you, Russell, need not list any of the negative consequences of
> believing in a hard takeoff when it doesn't happen, to convince me that
> it would be well not to believe in it supposing it doesn't happen.

Then perhaps what I need to do is explain why it won't happen? Okay, to make
sure we're on the same page, a definition:

Hard takeoff = a process by which seed AI (of complexity buildable by a team
of very smart humans in a basement) undertakes self-improvement to increase
its intelligence, without needing mole quantities of computronium, _without
needing to interact with the real world outside its basement_, and without
needing a long time; subsequently emerging in a form that is already
superintelligent.

1) I've underlined the most important condition, because it exposes the
critical flaw: the concept of hard takeoff assumes "intelligence" is a
formal property of a collection of bits. It isn't. It's an informal comment
on the relationship between a collection of bits and its environment.

Suppose your AI comes up with a new, supposedly more intelligent version of
itself and is trying to decide whether to replace the current version with
the new version. What algorithm does it use to tell it whether the new
version is really more intelligent? Well it could apply some sort of
mathematical criterion, see whether the new version is faster at proving a
list of theorems, say.

But the most you will ever get out of that process is an AI that's
intelligent at proving mathematical theorems - not because you didn't apply
it well enough, but because that's all the process was ever trying to give
you in the first place. To create an AI that's intelligent at solving real
world problems - one that can cure cancer or design a fusion reactor that'll
actually work when it's turned on - requires that the criterion for checking
whether a new version is really more intelligent than the old one, involves
testing its effectiveness at solving real world problems. Which means the
process of AI development must involve interaction with the real world, and
must be limited in speed by real world events even if you have a building
full of nanocomputers to run the software.

There are other problems, mind you:

2) Recursive self-improvement mightn't be a valid concept in the first
place. If you think about it, our reason for confidence in the possibility
of AI and nanotechnology is that we have - we are - existence proofs. There
is no existence proof for full RSI. On the contrary, all the data goes the
other way: every successful complex system we see, from molecular biology to
psychology, law and politics, computers and the Internet etc, are designed
as a stack of layers where the upper layers are easy to change, but they
rest on more fundamental lower ones that typically are changed only by
action of some still more fundamental environment.

And this makes sense from a theoretical viewpoint. Suppose you're thinking
about replacing the current version of yourself with a new version. How do
you know the new version doesn't have a fatal flaw that'll manifest itself a
year from now? Even if not one that makes you drop dead, one that might
slightly degrade long-term performance; adopting a long string of such
changes could be slow suicide. There's no way to mathematically prove this
won't happen. Godel, Turing, Rice et al show that in general you can't prove
properties of a computer program even in vacuum, let alone in the case where
it must deal with a real world for which we have no probability
distribution. The layered approach is a pragmatic way out of this, a way to
experiment at the upper levels while safeguarding the fundamental stuff; and
that's what complex systems in real life do.

The matter has been put to the test: Eurisko was a full RSI
AI. Result: it needed constant human guidance or it'd just wedge itself.

3) On to the most trivial matter, computing power: there's been a lot of
discussion about how much it might take to run a fully developed and
optimized AI, and the consensus is that ultimate silicon technology might
suffice... but that line of argument ignores the fact that it takes much
more computing power to develop an algorithm than it does to run it once
developed. Consider how long it takes you to solve a quadratic equation,
compared to the millennia required for all of human civilization to discover
algebra. Or consider how long it takes to boot up Windows or Linux versus
how long it took to write them (let alone develop the concept of operating
systems)... and now remember that the writing of those operating systems
involved large distributed systems of molecular nanocomputers vastly more
powerful than the trivial silicon on which they run.

Bottom line, I think we'll need molecular computers to develop AI - and not
small prototype ones either.

So that's one reason why the concept is definitely incoherent, an
independent reason why there's good reason to believe it's incoherent, and a
third again independent reason why it wouldn't be practical in the
foreseeable future even if it were coherent.