[extropy-chat] Diaspora was Bluff and the Darwin award

_ _ siproj at gmail.com
Wed May 17 16:19:58 UTC 2006

> Samantha is (in my opinion) right.  If you know my background, I am
> probably as qualified as any to have an opinion about this.  It is also a
> view I don't like, I was forced into it by physical reality (and Freeman
> Dyson).
>
> For what are basically economic reasons it will take nanotech level
> technology to get us into space.  I don't see any way to avoid strong AI.

Right now the soft problems within the transhuman sphere seem to impede
progressions into the future:

* Economics - an artificial construct societies create to exchange value -
The Federal Researve System treats capital privation or confuses it all too
easily with economic efficient action proving that gullible America can
believe the Great Depression was falsely attributed to the
*Smoot*-*Hawley*Tariff<http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/id/17606.htm>versus
the tight capitalization, will people start to realize the inflation
of today is equally caused by the FOMC and commodities costs cannot be
combated by reducing monies when it is foreign resource demand in the BRIC
countries driving those prices upward?

* Social memes - from abortion, stem cell research and even warface act as
divisions to hold back masses of scientists from getting the job done.

* Perceived boundaries - Heinlein hard science to fantasy, albeit
entertaining but most certainly not the thinking construct of aspiration
that a hard science novel has or even a cyberpunk book like Schismatrix or
the vulnerable Gibson works Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa overdrive
theme tied akin to Virtual Light and Idoru

* Vested Interests - we can only wish for more financial implosions of
Worldcom or Enron style in the largest corporations.  This is one of the few
ways large scale change gets done within multi-national corporate politics.

* Demand destruction - see vested interests - squelch demand on a
substantial basis and capital brinksmanship does halt in importance and
survival begins.  Capital privation or hyper-valuation orientation - now we
still do not yet understand post-capitalist western society nor the issues
and dangers and hopefully it does not decay into a quasi-totalitarian
settlement provided by a neo-fascist league of mind control artists.

If wishes were light sails and laser cannon, I would be many light years
> from the solar system.
>
> Keith Henson

siproj at gmail.com     Creator of alt.inventors and keeper of the Official
                         alt.inventors FAQ despite what some alt.config
                         sysadmin/waste of time/bandwidth actions.