[extropy-chat] Latest advances in antiaging medicine

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 04:12:51 UTC 2006

A forward-looking review (a link to the full paper is
found below the abstract):

Keio J Med. 2005 Jun;54(2):85-94.

Latest advances in antiaging medicine.

Grossman T.

Frontier Medical Institute, Golden, Colorado, USA.
terry at kurzweiltech.com

Rapid progress is being made in our ability to modify
the aging process. Rather than serving as a period of
debility and decreasing health, for many people, the
later years of life are becoming a period of continued
productivity, independence and good health. Progress
is also being made in increasing average lifespan. The
leading causes of death (cardiovascular disease,
cancer, lung disease, diabetes) are the end result of
decades-long processes. With current knowledge, it is
possible to delay the onset of these diseases. This
can be assisted by lifestyle choices incorporating
healthful diet, exercise, stress management, and
nutritional supplementation. Emerging genomics
technology will allow individuals to establish
personalized programs, while early detection of heart
disease and cancer will contribute to longevity.
Biotechnological therapies involving stem cells,
recombinant DNA, proteomics, therapeutic cloning and
gene-based therapies are expected to play major roles
in promoting successful aging. We are at the threshold
of artificial intelligence (AI) and nanotechnology
(NT). AI will allow for a merging of our biological
thinking with advanced forms of non-biological
intelligence to vastly expand our ability to think,
create and experience. NT will ultimately allow us to
build devices able to build molecules much like our
current cellular machinery does, one atom at a time.
It is the goal of today's antiaging medicine to
forestall disease and aging long enough for people to
utilize the powerful biotechnology and nanotechnology
therapies that will be developed over the decades
ahead. These future therapies have the potential to
greatly extend longevity.

Full Paper:
http://www.kjm.keio.ac.jp/past/54/2/85.pdf

Abstract @ PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16077258

http://IanGoddard.net

"A proposition is a picture of reality. [...] A
picture cannot, however, place itself outside its
representational form. [...] No proposition can make a
statement about itself, because a propositional sign
cannot be contained in itself (that is the whole of
the 'theory of types')." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein