[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 18 06:41:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 05:20:00PM -0400, Heartland wrote:

> Hard takeoff, as I understand it, doesn't refer to the growing amount of impact
> that intelligence growth will have on the outside environment, but to the growth
> itself. If an AI is capable of making the first improvement to itself, this already

You don't have to understand yourself in order to make improvements,
use evolutionary methods.

> means that this AI had enough knowledge about its structure and ways of improving
> itself to not seek any extra knowledge outside of its immediate environment.

If you 0wn the global network, your outside environment is the whole planet.
Not much of a handicap, eh?

> And even if such AI were required to go outside of its environment to learn how to
> improve itself, a smarter AI should be able to minimize that requirement on each
> iteration. In any case, I don't see how hard takeoff is not inevitable soon after
> the first iteration.

Hard takeoff is a direct consequence of hardware overhang (human designers build lousy
systems) and a large pool of hardware to 0wn and expand into.