[extropy-chat] Agreement on principles. (was Microsoft)

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 11:42:43 UTC 2006

Eliezer:
> Microsoft Outlook is a *deliberate effort* to warp accepted standards in
> order to force people to adopt Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Under these circumstances, in my opinion, Eugen should refuse to change
> his mail client *on principle*.  It is rarely wise to reward defection
> in the Prisoner's Dilemma.

But what if Outlook users don't accept these standards and evaluate the situation
using a different standard according to which Mr. Leitl is the defector?

But let's leave that specific question alone and focus on this kind of situation in
general. Is it ever possible for a person to adopt a principle using set of
principles opposed to that principle?

H.