[extropy-chat] Economic consensus on immigration

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 18 12:22:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 06:47:48PM -0700, spike wrote:

> One aspect of libertarianism that I always choked on was the notion of open
> borders.  To this day I still can't quite see how such a policy could ever
> work.

In biology, there are no artificial borders. The trend with human
territories is coalescing into larger and larger compartments, and
once gradients are suficiently equilibrated there's no longer much
purpose in compartmentation. Larger nation-states were a novelty
post-fiefdom, but now we've got agglomeration on continet scale
(North America, EU). I think this trend will continue.

Once you go to space, then latency and separation forms natural
barriers, where cultures can diverge. This is especially valid
for solid-state cultures, which have >10^6 speedup rates.
Relativistic lag on planetary scale becomes a real problem.