[extropy-chat] Economic consensus on immigration

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 18 15:11:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:27:30AM -0400, Martin Striz wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
> > In biology, there are no artificial borders.
>
> Like with deer, wolves and all other territorial animals?  Defining

Good point. At individuum level and (related) social group
there's territory protection. I wasn't thinking about such
small-scale clustering. You wouldn't see Canuck deer
erect a fence to separate themselves from Yankee deer.

> territory in order to acquire and protect resources is useful enough
> that cognitive capacities evolved for it.
>
> Don't be surprised if people have a natural tendency to invent
> national borders or property rights.

Absolutely -- and with small tribes it made even sense,
from a genome's view. But the bulk of our interactions in
urban areas is now among unrelated individuals, so clustering by
other markers (language, culture, mobile phone brand)
is an atavism. The language boundaries are arguably eroding
with multination constructs, such as the EU (and early US).
Do similiar things happen in Asia?