[extropy-chat] chess and lizards

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Thu May 18 17:35:13 UTC 2006

Spike asked:
> Whole nuther unrelated question please Eli.  In your summit talk you made a
> reference to politicians not being lizards.  The audience made an unexpected
> reaction, mirth or surprise.  You looked around as if to say whaaaat?  This
> was my reaction too: whaaaat?

Here's what I think happened.  Eliezer made some straightforward comment
about politicians being smarter than lizards.  This is plainly true.
However it is also a perfect 'straight line' setting up a joke, a put-down
of politicians suggesting that they are dumber than lizards.  The audience
members each mentally supplied the punch line and laughed at that.

I don't know whether Eliezer failed to anticipate that his comment
would be interpreted that way, or whether this was a set-up with feigned
surprise, intended for humorous effect.

Hal