[extropy-chat] Economic consensus on immigration

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Thu May 18 22:36:32 UTC 2006

Anders writes

> Lee Corbin wrote:
>
> > But why Russians? The Swedish government should issue invitations to
> > the most needy and prolific people it can find, e.g. Moslems from
> > several places in the world, or Mexicans. Why shouldn't the Swedish
> > government feel a moral obligation to do what I suggest? After all,
> > *economically* it'll quite possibly help Sweden, but even if not,
> > it will certainly help whatever country the newcomers arrive from.
>
> Exactly.

Delightful! I love consistency, and the pushing of ideas to their
ultimate implications.

> And I honestly believe Sweden would become a better place if it was
> "invaded" by a lot more people. It would likely become messier, less
> stable and not the Sweden we are used to. But melting pots are usually
> where new ideas are created. Of course, the key problem with integration
> in Europe is that everybody is obsessed with nationality and culture and
> hence preventing immigrants from integrating well. So I seriously doubt my
> ideas would ever get a chance.

Yes, I'm afraid that there isn't time for your values on this topic
to get much of a run. But one must scientifically inquire exactly as
to *why* most Swedes---or any other nationality one cared to speak
of---so resist the logic here. Perhaps it was just a fashion statement
from Victorian times, or something else ancient that arose by chance?

Of course not. The cultural values of most Swedes, including this form
of xenophobia, arose though evolution. Cultures that did not have such
values did not last very long. (Burden of proof: just where, historically,
did one see a long lasting culture or society not jealous of its own
identity?)

There are two reasons why your ideas don't have time enough. One, of
course, is the singularity (even if in its mildest and gentlest form).
A second reason is that of evolution itself: the Swedish population
that entertains such ideas will indeed be overwhelmed by "other ideas".
To wit, if/when the majority in Sweden becomes, say, Moslem, then
nature will revert to form, and the injunctions in the Koran that say
to conquer the world in the name of Islam, and adopt an extremely
hostile stance towards freethinking, will have proven their vitality.
And memetic fitness.

Lee