[extropy-chat] hope you can comprehend

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 20 14:17:16 UTC 2006

On 5/20/06, Robert Bradbury wrote:
> It is succinct, unfortunately  part of the statement is highly problematic
> (perhaps even *wrong*).

<snip>

> Going back to the original statement -- there is of course the "flip" side
> of the coin.  One could be quite extropic and choose not to sign up for
> cryonic suspension because one doesn't want to be revived.  A *true*
> extropian will make the decision whether or not to undergo cryonic
> suspension on the basis of whether or not they feel that activity will in
> the future contribute towards increasing the quantity and/or quality of
> "useful" information in the universe [3].  One has to compare investing the
> financial resources in the preservation of oneself as an ice cube for 20-50
> years to say investing in the same financial resources in other potentially
> more extropic efforts [4].

I also wanted to criticise Jeff's post, especially the dismissive
comment about 'Legions incapable of logic' applied to anyone outside
of the very, very few signed up to cryonics.

But then I thought that on extropy-chat, being signed up to cryonics
is like having the membership ticket of the 'true believer', so I had
better keep my mouth shut.  ;)

However, as Robert has stepped in (once again) where angels fear to
tread, I'll add a few comments.

As Robert says, signing up to cryonics is making a financial decision
that this is the best way to allocate a *minimum* of 80,000 USD (head)
or 150,000 USD (whole body). If you already have this much spare cash
lying around in petty cash and you have already invested in / provided
for everything else, then this point is not significant.

But for most people, whether via life insurance or other methods,
cryonics has to be selected in preference to many other possibilities.
Donating to other organisations, e.g. SIAI to speed up FAI, providing
for family, bequests to charities, etc.

Alcor makes the point that for younger people the life insurance
premiums should be smaller and easier to fund. It should also be
pointed out though that younger people are the least likely to require
cryonics. Other developments like life-extending tech, nano medicine
and even the Singularity are likely to arrive well within the next 40
to 50 years. And if you die prematurely in a flaming car wreck, then
cryonics won't help.

Most scientists say that revival of a cryonics case is not possible in
any near future technology. You need 'magic' nano medicine before you
can make a case for this. But if you can live long enough, via interim
life-extension tech, until nano medicine arrives then you have no need
for cryonics.

BillK