[extropy-chat] hope you can comprehend

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 21 01:28:00 UTC 2006

On May 20, 2006, at 10:58 AM, KAZ wrote:

> [...]

This does not seem reasonable.  I have worked in commercial software
for heading toward three decades now.  I have continuously noted that
academic and non-profit research is way ahead of what is actual
commercial practice.  Some companies have significant research
divisions but relatively little of the results seem to come to
market.   The commercial world emphasizes that which has likely
profit potential in the not too distant future.  Trends in business
today are strongly oriented to short term bottom line results,
especially in software businesses.   I doubt very much you are going
to find many commercial software houses willing to internally fund a
10+ year effort to produce AGI.  if you know of any there are many
here who would very much like to have this information.  I know that
you won't find a VC firm willing to fund an AGI startup or a startup
to achieve full MNT for that matter.    Again, if you can point to
for profit significant private funding in these areas other than a
few self-funded efforts then please share.

I am a big believer in the free market.  However, that is a darn
sight different from a claim that only for profit efforts are any
good at all in all fields.

- samantha