[extropy-chat] Economic consensus on immigration

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun May 21 21:32:02 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lee Corbin
>
> Sam Harris is an amazingly eloquent voice against religious belief.
> In his book "The End of Faith", he has a couple of pretty scary
> chapters about Islam too.
>
>     As a matter of doctrine, the Muslim conception of tolerance
>     is one in which non-Muslims have been politically and
>     economically subdued, converted, or put to sword....
> Lee

Lee this whole debate reminds me of a recurring theme in Hofstadter's EGB.
He illustrated Godel's incompleteness theorem by having Mr. Crab obtaining
ever more perfect stereo systems.  Mr. Tortoise would play on it records
that created tones so perfectly tuned to the natural resonances of the
system that the stereo self-destructed (GEB 75-78).  From that, Hofstadter
explained Godel's theorem shows that no logic system can ever be designed
that is completely free of paradox.

In our modern system of liberal democracy, freedom of religion, separation
of church and state, so treasured by USians and Europeans, we have just such
a paradox.  What happens when a free society meets a religion that does not
accept freedom, requires unification of church and state, deplores liberal
democracy, and specifically demands slavery to that particular religion?
Must a free society tolerate intolerance?  What happens if it does?  What
happens if it does not?

Mr. Crab's stereo is shattered once again.