[extropy-chat] off topic

ilsa ilsa.bartlett at gmail.com
Tue May 23 01:37:51 UTC 2006

Buddhism is a truth seeking path and not a religion of any kind.  there are
the every day new agers who call themselves Buddhists and have given the
prevailing colors to this current popularity but that is the first turning
of the wheel.  Buddha gave 84 thousand suturas.  there is the first:  all
life is suffering, the second turning is called the middle way and
represents the walking on the razor edge between the pairs of opposites and
the third turning which is a vast scientific study of all realities.  my
daughter just called she is taking me out to dinner at a place that needs a
reservation!  wowwser.  i will return to this if called upon.
imagine all this overlay ed on the biology and physics of the here and now.
what after all do we have access to but you and me baby.

On 5/22/06, Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> Spike,
>
> Kundun (1997) -- see [1].
>
> Lobsang Samten is apparently "Master of the Kitchen".
>
> I have not seen the movie, but given its credit list (4 Oscar nominations
> as well as a number of other wins) it might be worth tracking down.
>
> I would tend to agree however that I would prefer messages with "normal"
> capitalization for readability.
>
> The point I was trying to make (perhaps poorly), is that self-awareness
> and conscious thought are two of perhaps many modes of operation of the
> biomatter between our ears.  Certain philosophies have developed various
> approaches towards exploring these areas -- as have neuroscientists who have
> access to research tools such as fMRI.  In part it comes back to whether
> *you* have your thoughts or whether your thoughts have *you*.  The pursuit
> of "truth" over mere "thoughts" is one approach to this.  Buddhism, Zen and
> other disciplines provide alternate paths.
>
> I would guess that most people on the extropian list migrate towards
> enlightenment through the "truth" path in contrast to many Eastern cultures
> where a "discipline" path is perhaps more common.  Obviously they are not
> exclusive of each other.
>
> Given the common Western mindset (which by default includes thousands of
> years of cultural spin control) it may be difficult not to label a
> discipline or a path as a religion.  You can see how easy it is for this
> trap to present itself in the IMDB quote from Kundun.  An Indian asks the
> Dalai Lama if he is the "Lord Buddha"?  The Dalai Lama's answer refuses to
> acknowledge that he is a "Lord" of any kind.
>
> Robert
>
> 1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119485/

don't ever get so big or important that you can not hear and listen to every
other person.   john coletrane
www.mikyo.com/ilsa
http://rewiring.blogspot.com
www.hotlux.com/angel.htm