[extropy-chat] no electronics at Singularity Summit???

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue May 23 12:04:18 UTC 2006

> No, it's the phone conversation itself, even with a handsfree set, which
> increases the chance of your needing that cryonics contract.  Attention
> is a limited resource.

I find having a *passenger* in the car is often so distracting that I
could easily wreck. Does this go away with exposure over time? A parent
with young children can find it almost impossible not to be distracted.
*Seemed* like I got used to that noise and activity, but frequently I was
not directly involved in conversations, just in ... peacekeeping!

Perhaps the best arrangement is that old one, with the chauffeur who had a
speaking tube to the rear compartment, but that could/would be closed off
for most of the drive. ;)  Now... where can I find such a person and such
an auto!

I do know that when I must navigate complicated traffic, I frequently ask
passengers to be quiet so I can concentrate!

Regards,
MB