[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral? (An attempted survey)

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 20:00:52 UTC 2006

Reading a few recent posts on SL4 got me re-interested in the "Simulation Argument" topic. I think a good topic for discussion is the morality of ancestor simulations. There is a significant chance that in the future we ourselves will be in a position to run an ancestor simulation if we so desire. I think it would be very interesting to gather a broad collection of honest opinions on whether doing so is morally acceptable or unacceptable. If the survey were sufficiently wide, it might even give us a hint as to whether we will *ever* choose to run an ancestor simulation in the future - which could in turn indicate whether we ourselves are embedded in one now.

  Just to hopefully start things off: I honestly consider ancestor simulations as extremely *immoral* based on the inherent widespread suffering of the individuals involved. Also because allowing such a simulation is a precedent for allowing the creation of even more ethically questionable simulations later on.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

http://mail.yahoo.com