[extropy-chat] Most star systems are single

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed May 24 02:20:51 UTC 2006

If Lada is correct, it's the best news I have heard since 20 October 2005.
My unsophisticated BOTECs suggest that single stars would be more likely to
have their angular momentum being carried in orbiting planets and dust.
That is far more interesting than having the rocky stuff end up falling into
the star because of the influence of a companion.

Come to think of it, in any double system, not only is there less space for
stable orbits, the habitability of any possible planets would presumably be
reduced by variation of radiation from the two (or more) stars.  I would
think one steady star would be more friendly to evolution of life than two.