[extropy-chat] the good life

Ned Late nedlate2006 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 23:42:54 UTC 2006

Avantguardian got me thinking about what constitutes happiness, or shall we say the good life.
  First come the twin pillars of health & intellect, of course.
  But a close second is assertiveness, rapid assertiveness. Rather than get angry and raise your voice you have to politely talk back to people who diss you, otherwise they will peg you as a pushover. You've got to be quick on your feet in responding to those who probe your defenses. Don't be vicious, but show your opponent you can't easily be trifled with-- by isolating your opponent's weakness. Someone insulted me earlier this year so I quickly glanced at his pot belly and quietly responded, "well, at least I'm not fat". That was the last time he caused trouble.
  Thirdly, it helps to be goodlooking, being born that way or by way of cosmetic surgery. No amount of beauty creme, exercise, or supplements is going to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
  Money comes fourth. Of course it helps to have a lot of dough, but if you got money but aint got health, brains, assertiveness and looks, you are not going to live much of the good life. Swear to you, I'd rather be a healthy goodlooking assertive pauper than an unhealthy, ugly, unassertive billionaire.

"information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not..."