[extropy-chat] Which Cryonics option is optimal?

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat May 27 23:06:26 UTC 2006

> I intend to sign up for cryopreservation with Alcor in the near
> future, but I'm not completely decided on which option I would prefer:
> Neuropreservation Option (head only) or full-body (head + body).

I'm signed up for whole-body suspension.  I like my body; if it can be
rejuvenated, or used as a model for a new version, I'd like something
similar.  I also believe that there's something behind the phrase
"muscle memory".  I think part of what we know how to do and do well is
a cooperative endeavor between body and mind.  The vagaries and
randomness of development in the womb and during childhood make minor
differences to which nerve ends control what abilities.  Reconnecting
randomly might require a completely new process of learning how to
operate the body.  Giving me a brand new body, (even one specified by my
own DNA) would require a lot more learning than bringing me back with my
brain connected to the wiring it has already learned how to operate.

A few months ago, Alcor sent its whole-body members a letter saying that
the vitrification procedure they have developed is only known to work
for neuro-only patients.  They believe that it produces much better
preservation, and recommended that whole-body members consent to
allowing them to determine whether a neuro-only procedure would produce
a better preservation at the time of suspension.

I agreed, and signed their consent form.

Preserving my brain is much more important than simplifying the revival
and reconnection to the rest of my body.  If it doesn't hurt my chances
of revival, I'd prefer to have my body available.  If the body can't  be
saved without endangering the preservation of the brain, the brain comes
first.

> My inclination right now is to tentatively sign up as a Neuro, but to
> hopefully purchase a life insurance policy that will barely cover a
> full-body, in case I change my mind later.

That seems workable.  If price is an obstacle, then certainly, do what
you can afford now.  If you become convinced at some point that your
body is worth saving, change the paperwork with Alcor.  If death comes
as a surprise, you get whatever option you last paid Alcor for.

Chris
--
All sensory cells [in all animals] have in common the presence of
... cilia [with a constant] structure.  It provides a strong

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org