[extropy-chat] Role of MWI and Time Travel

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Sun May 28 01:43:46 UTC 2006

Serafino writes

> Lee wrote:
> > As for overpopulation [MWI, but backwards in time],
> > I would simply suppose that the version of me
> > who saw the photon go up would smoothly merge
> > into the version of me who saw it go straight;
> > if we branch into separate versions going forward
> > in time, wouldn't it be very natural to merge
> > into a single version going backwards?
>
> Imagine a source of photons, a beam of photons going to
> a beam-splitter, and two detectors (one for each path).

Okay.

> According to the 'collapse' interpretation when a
> detector flashes it means that one photon arrived there
> (while the other detector remains silent).

Yes, in the ugly and bizarre Copenhagen interpretation,
the universe somehow manages to forget all about one
possibility, entirely!

> According to MWI both detectors flash, but each one
> in its own 'world'.
> Now, what if we time-reverse this process?
> According to the 'collapse' interpretation each photon
> goes from the detector (that flashed), to the beam-splitter,
> and then to the source. So only 50% of photons arrive
> at the source (because of the beam-splitter).

I thought we were talking about a single photon. Now, if
we are talking about single photons, then the photon would
just gently time-reverse its course, and go through the
beam splitter backwards, and hence to the photon source.
Even in the ugly and amnesiac Copenhagen version, I don't
see a real problem---do you?

> According to MWI each photon goes from the detector
> that flashed, to the beam-splitter, and then to the source.
> But since we have here 2 worlds (merging) ... 2 x 50% = 100%
> are the photons that arrive at the source. [Unless there is
> some big mistake].

Yes. Seems quite tidy.  Now I admit that I don't really think
very well about time-reversed situations. All I do is play
a mental recording of the forward motion backwards. So I can
not really think of any problem that would appear in any
interpretation.

Lee