[extropy-chat] Freedom and Practicality

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun May 28 15:29:10 UTC 2006

On September 11th, shortly after I turned on my computer in the morning,
I had three thoughts.

First:  "I'm glad it wasn't nuclear."

Second: "So it finally did happen.  I guess I really am living in the
Future."

Third:  "The overreaction to this event will be a hundred times worse
than the damage caused by the actual terrorist act."

The last thought was understated by, oh, three orders of magnitude or
so.  I would estimate that the overreaction to 9/11 was around five
orders of magnitude worse than 9/11.

On the day a small fission explosion goes off in a major American city
and kills 50,000 people, the world will go mad.  Nearly all of the
damage will come from that madness, not the fission explosion.

But when the second American city gets nuked, people will start to get
used to it.