[extropy-chat] Desirability of Happiness, Etc.

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon May 29 16:30:59 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:

> I was speaking of circumstances in which one aberrant
> individual has the ability to kill many thousands of
> local sentients. In lieu of the Transparent Society,
> I don't know of any other solution.

The general trend since the Stone Age has been for the minimum group size
for effective action (for both good and harm) to always increase with
advancing technology. Technophiles have tended to assume without evidence
that this trend will reverse in the future. Robin Hanson does a good job of
explaining why this belief actually constitutes evidence not about the
future but about our own psychology:

http://hanson.gmu.edu/dreamautarky.html