[extropy-chat] Desirability of Happiness, Etc.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon May 29 16:39:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 09:24:23AM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:

> I was speaking of circumstances in which one aberrant
> individual has the ability to kill many thousands of
> local sentients. In lieu of the Transparent Society,
> I don't know of any other solution.

How good are you with data mining, personally?
Machine vision? Speech recognition? Hardware design? Spyware sweeps?
How many gigabucks/year can you, personally, spare to install taps and
and build meganode data centers? Hire security? How many hours
of your day would you, personally, be spending sifting through
surveillance data?

Let's face it, here is where centralism has an edge over
P2P (millions of blind eyes are useless).

Saying "we have zero privacy anyway, get over it" is equivalent
to voluntarily submit to being manacled, and shipped to Dachau.

I'm pro legislation protecting individual privacy, while
blowing away the smoke screen behind government and enterprise
secrecy.