[extropy-chat] Survival tangent

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Nov 1 04:25:58 UTC 2006

Damien -

I understand your point, but I think what you're getting is out of
context. You'll probably need to go back one earlier in the thread to
see this.

Slawomir was saying that if someone asserts (1) that persons are defined
by their VBM, then *they* must see that this implies (2) that their BVM
could be distributed piecemeal among a large set of persons.  He then
points to the absurdity of (2) in an attempt to show that (1) must be
false.

If (2) did in fact follow from (1), and (2) were found to be absurd,
then (1) would have to be false.  However, I have been trying to show
Slawomir that his argument doesn't hold because (2) doesn't follow from
(1), and furthermore no one (other than he) suggested that it did follow
from (1).

In other words,

I'm not saying that he believes (2) but I did make two attempts at
getting him to clearly specify it.  On the contrary, it is understood
that he thinks it is an absurd consequent, to be used to prove the
falsity of (1).

Incidentally, I'm also not saying that I believe (1), because I think
it's only a part of what defines a person, but again that is not the
point.

Does this make sense to you?

- Jef