[extropy-chat] You must be willing to give up everything

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Nov 1 07:51:57 UTC 2006

As Alex quoted our sage Robert:

    You must be willing to give up everything you are for what you might become.

But ask I, (Mark 8:36)

        For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?

You should NOT be willing to give up EVERYTHING, or you won't
be you any longer!

> During the late '90s I realized that no matter how hard I might strive to
> achieve indefinite "human" longevity it was probably a struggle doomed
> to failure due to limits on the minimization of the external hazard function.

It's a small point, but remember that you *do* succeed in some fraction of
universes, if, that is, you follow the Holy MWI, Everitt, and his prophet Deutsch:

          La ilaha ila Everett; Deutsch-rasul Everett.     (The Korbin)

> Uploading offered a clear evolutionary strategy but would involve eliminating
> a rather strong mental attachment I have for my current instantiation (but hell,
> cut a few axons here, a few dendrites there, upload the rest and I'll probably
> find it amusing that I was once so "attached").

Yes, so long as you're still you.

Hell, I doubt if you are really attached anyway.  If hundreds of test
animals, and then hundreds of people got uploaded, and everyone agreed
that they still seemed to be exactly the same people, I'd estimate your
so-called "attachment" in atto-Newtons.

About the same strength of Damien's and Slawomir's reluctance to teleport,
if everyone else started doing it.

Lee