[extropy-chat] Just curious, it's not natural!

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 03:29:46 UTC 2006

Olga, you are correct concerning agnostics & atheists having lower divorce rates than xians however the number of xians in this country is so large that even with a roughly fifty percent divorce rate, xian marital unions are still a potent factor.
  Not that I accept xian mythology (cf Brookhiser's "dying and reviving gods, the myths of agriculture"). All the same, xian mythology gives frightened families peace of mind, in fact I would say those xian families who are not fundamentalists are remarkably-- considering the pressures they are under-- kind and cheerful; if they are not optimists then they do possess a resilience.
  This is what I in effect say to them: "I cant dispute with you that Jesus is the son of God because doing so would negate your whole faith, rendering the discussion a nonstarter, yet I don't accept Jesus' resurrection".
  They invariably reply: "being the Son of God, he was able to resurrect". So the logic is entirely circular but at least they understand the debate is not immediately a total rejection of their faith but rather is based on doubt of the ability of their savior to have resurrected from death.