[extropy-chat] Identity (was: Survival tangent)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Nov 2 17:02:20 UTC 2006

Ian -

Unfortunately, this discussion became fragmented, with the result that
it might appear that I was arguing a point of view, when actually I was
arguing only for the use of valid logic.

I don't in fact believe that a person is fully and effectively defined
by their values, beliefs and memories. I think that a more general and
useful definition rests on the concept of shared agency, regardless of
physical form and function.

As to your point about the rigorous meaning of identity, I fully agree.
That being said, within the topic of "personal identity" we are
specifically allowing for the case when two objects, recognized as
persons, appear to be *effectively* the same within a given context.

- Jef