[extropy-chat] PHIL: Derrida and Deconstruction

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Nov 2 17:46:27 UTC 2006

Robert -

I took a chance with my perceived credibility by writing an opening
paragraph parodying the style of Derrida.  It contained virtually zero
direct content, but many allusions to profundity. I received offlist
comments that were *very* appreciative of the humor, but I'm afraid
others may have taken a quick look and thought something like "there's
Jef being inscrutable again."

As I said to Natasha, I spent some considerable time looking into
postmodernism, for the purpose of understanding, relating, and better
communicating with those who view the world from that mindset. Over the
years I have taken a similar approach to understanding beliefs about
Christianity, other religions, Buddhism, other philosophies, paganism,
parapsychology, occult practices, drug use and abuse and other less than
rational areas.  Hell, a few days ago, I spent a half hour in
conversation with a clearly deranged homeless person camping in a public
park.  Our conversation was almost entirely bereft of substance, but I
came away with a deeper understanding of his world.

But back to postmodernism.  My bottom-line and crude assessment is that
postmodernism represents essentially a bottomless pit of navel-gazing,
mental masturbation and academic in-fighting.

I think Derrida did have a valuable point about the contextual
relativity of meaning and how the contextual sphere extends to the
reader and even beyond, and quite probably he made some other good
points, but the [IMHO] self-inflicted vagueness and obfuscation makes it
an anti-extropic use of time.  And let's not forget the Sokal hoax as
another important indicator on this topic.  It reminds me of certain
forms of "abstract" art which some people (by virtue of their
"sophistication") will find to be very profound, while others may
observe that this says more about the person and society than it does
about the actual work of art  We should also recognize that there is a
certain response in the brain that can trigger a very real sense of awe
and profundity regardless of the stimulus providing any real substantial
content.  Examples include feelings of profound significance induced by
drugs, directed intercranial magnetic fields, epileptic fits, hormonal
fluctuations or even the hypnotic influence of being part of a large
crowd.

That said, I value very highly the freedom of individuals to follow
these paths, I appreciate the diversity generated by such "unproductive"
efforts, and I trust that overall, that which is more effective will
tend to persist and grow to our benefit.

- Jef