[extropy-chat] Survival tangent.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Thu Nov 2 18:52:51 UTC 2006

Heartland, High Priest of the Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult Wrote:

> When will you understand that "life" is not an adjective but a noun

So you believe that when someone dies something must go away. The name of
that something is the soul. I know you'd prefer a more scientifically
sounding word but that doesn't change the fact it's the same idea. I think
that is nonsense, I believe the difference between a 180 pound man and a
corpse is not that something has gone away but that something has changed in
that 180 pounds of protoplasm, it's organized differently and so requires a
different adjective.

And to answer your question, I will believe in the soul when my IQ declines
to double digits due to Alzheimer's disease.

> here's a quick observation that might help you.

> 1kg + 1kg != 1kg.

Big + Big = Big

Me:
>>let me ask you a very simple question: do you believe the Heartland of
>>yesterday has continued into today?

You:
> I guess in your language that would translate to "yes."

So if somehow you knew you'd feel the same way tomorrow there would be no
reason to fear you'd die today. I'd be willing to parachute over Niagara
Falls blindfolded in a barrel full of snakes.

> I might also add for the millionth time that what *I think* has absolutely
> no influence on *what I am*

Absolutely none? Not even a little? Are you sure? Oh sorry, I shouldn't have
asked that last question, what you think doesn't matter. So if you had all
my thoughts and none of your own it still wouldn't change what you are. If
you had no thoughts at all it still wouldn't change what you are as long as
the proper rituals had been performed on the sacred original atoms. You
don't think it matters if you think you're alive or dead, thinking doesn't
matter, all that matters is matter.

As for me, I call someone who is incapable of thought dead and I don't give
a damn about his idiot atoms.

One last thing, if you decide to respond to this send me your ORIGINAL E
mail.  For all I know you may actually agree with me because I've never seen
an original from you and all the E mail copies floating around on the net
have a different identity.

John K Clark