[extropy-chat] PHIL: Derrida and Deconstruction

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 00:56:35 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> At 09:46 AM 11/2/2006 -0800, Jef wrote:
>
> >My bottom-line and crude assessment is that postmodernism represents
> >essentially a bottomless pit of navel-gazing, mental masturbation
> >and academic in-fighting.
>
> The last-mentioned is crucial, especially when parsed as
> "ladder-climbing" (into the professoriate). One should not
> underestimate the sheer combative brilliance and mental agility of
> the best deconstructors, the capacity to take a stone and wring not
> just water but sparkling fountains of multi-colored streams from it,
> all without getting wet.
>
> From my perspective... Jef expresses it Damien translates it. (though
Jef's expressions were pretty clear). :-;   The complexity of the human mind
dicates that one can generate something from nothingness.

It would be extopic to clearly label shit as shit.  You may be wrong from a
generalization perspective, But is that knowledge or are those procedures
extropic?

One can admire "generation", particularly "novel" generation -- it is the
basis of much of "academia".  The questions are whether it is productive or
typical aspects of that thread?

Inventing ideas is great.  Inventing useless ideas isn't.
How do you distinguish them?