[extropy-chat] Identity (was: Survival tangent)

Michael M. Butler mmbutler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 06:01:24 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What you describe is, of course, Leibniz's law. "1" and "1" are different instances
> of "1" since the first "1" has a property of being to the left of "and" while the
> other "1" has a property of being to the right of "and".
> Multiple instances of anything are "automatically" different.
>
> Slawomir

For some reason, I feel obliged to reminisce:

"We may note that in these experiments the symbol
                                  =
                            stands for
                       'is confused with'."

G. Spencer Brown, "Laws of Form" (quote is only approximate: I sold my
copy years ago).

--
      Michael M. Butler  :  m m b u t l e r  ( a t )  g m a i l . c o m

'Piss off, you son of a bitch. Everything above where that plane hit
 is going to collapse, and it's going to take the whole building with it.
 I'm getting my people the fuck out of here."
   -- Rick Rescorla (R.I.P.), cell phone call, 9/11/2001