[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 00:18:52 UTC 2006

A high crime rate is understandable, in a free society criminals have freedom as well as law abiders. Trash culture & overcommercialization are understandable, too, because it is a matter of subjective taste. Even government corruption is understandable; though much more corruption overall exists in government than in business, government corruption is in part a reflection of corruption in business.
  But what doesn't make sense is a mediocre educational system-- why not let the children stay home and watch educational TV or use computers rather than send them to second or third rate schools? It's been widely known about the quality of schools for years, at least three decades, but here we are six years into the 21st century.
  Rafal Smigrodzki told me not to worry about education, the singularity negates the problem, yet what about in the meantime? would any of you like to be sent to a crummy, meaningless job six or seven hours a day with time off in a playground full of bullies? Everything else makes some sense however the current school system doesn't make ANY sense. None, unless for some hidden purpose, say, to make a certain number of young guys vicious so some of them will be more inclined to join a branch of the Service.