[extropy-chat] Juicy Classical Physics ProblemInvolvingGravitational Potential

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 4 16:46:47 UTC 2006

Lee this is a terrific puzzle thanks.

We had a discussion on this several years ago.  Damien and I worked some
calculations, and I think Eugen, Robert and some others chipped in, wherein
I estimated the variable density factor.  I kept getting wrong answers until
I actually looked it up and found that the density gradient was much larger
than I had assumed.  Given sufficient pressure, one really can compress
molten iron.  I wouldn't have thought that either.

Perhaps you recall that fifth force misadventure the physicists spoke of
back in the 80s.  As I recall the anomalous readings were eventually traced
to inaccuracies in modeling the density gradient of the earth.

Duty calls, more later.