[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 4 19:52:57 UTC 2006

At 09:12 AM 11/4/2006 -0800, spike wrote:

>  Al Brooks [kerry_prez at yahoo.com]:
>
>... however the current school system doesn't make ANY sense. None, unless
>for some hidden purpose, say, to make a certain number of young guys vicious
>so some of them will be more inclined to join a branch of the Service.
>
>Al, I notice your email address is kerry_prez.  The irony here is that
>senator Kerry destroyed any remnants of his possiblity to become president
>with a single comment similar in spirit to this one.

Careful, Spike. What you should have written is "with a single ironic
comment at Bush's expense that was maliciously and misleadingly spun
by his opponents as a comment similar in spirit to this one."

This is not a party-political observation (I don't get a vote in the
States). It's a matter of comprehending the context. Of course, maybe
I'm wrong about this and Kerry just happened to utter a remark in
public equivalent to Bush or Cheney, say, blurting out in public
that  Halliburton is corrupt and all elected politicians are morons.
Seems unlikely. Nor am I even convinced that he "told the joke
wrong"--I suspect he assumed his audience was smart enough to make
the leap to his ironic intent: "Hey, guess who's got himself mired in
Iran... it's that booze-sucking brainless frat boy in the White
House!" (I keep making that kind of mistake myself, assuming people
will understand and laugh at my ironic quips when all too often they
tend to stare open-mouthed and aghast.)

Damien Broderick