[extropy-chat] truth machine

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 01:39:22 UTC 2006

Extropes,

Perhaps you will recall Halperin's "Truth Machine".  Science fiction,
right?  Science fiction, as in nerd boy vaporware.  As in ***just***
science fiction.

I haven't read "The Truth Machine", but I'd heard about it, on this
list, (back when Halperin was coming out with "The First Immortal").
Heard that it depicted a world radically transformed by a robust
capability to detect lying and discern the truth.

Fast forward five or six years.

I was reading this article:

U.S. says terror suspect shouldn't talk to civilian lawyer

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-11-04-interrogation_x.htm

The first paragraph states:

"A suspected terrorist who spent years in a secret CIA prison should
not be allowed to speak to a civilian attorney, the Bush
administration argues, because he could reveal the agency's closely
guarded interrogation techniques."

Which made me think back to this article which I read about two years ago:

MRI lie detector may tell fact from fiction
http://www.temple.edu/temple_times/2-10-05/lies.html

So a year after the announcement of the research, an application comes
to market:

Brain Scan Lie Detectors Come To Market
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/003548.html

>From which I offer a couple of excerpts:

Two companies plan to market the first lie-detecting devices that use
magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and say the new tests can spot liars
with 90% accuracy.
Both rely in part on recent research funded by the federal government
aimed at producing a foolproof method of detecting deception.

Lie detection will become a huge market. It will change personal
relationships, marriages, the criminal justice system (I love tools
that can exonerate the innocent), the hunt for terrorists, and raise
honesty in business dealings.

So I'm wondering -- assuming really -- is the CIA is using this tech
in its interrogation protocol?

Brave new world.

--
Best, Jeff Davis

               "Always tell the truth.  You'll please some
                        people, and astonish the rest."
                                                       Mark Twain