[extropy-chat] Edge: Thank Goodness! By Daniel C. Dennett

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Nov 6 01:53:41 UTC 2006

At 04:02 PM 11/5/2006 -0800, spike wrote:
(Fred wrote)

snip

> > Of course there were people who were horrified when Darwin and others
> > began to publish their ideas on evolution...Fred
>
>Ja, especially those who didn't actually read Origin of Species.  That is a
>marvelous book, which amazes me at how modern the ideas sound today, a
>century and a half down the road.

Darwin could not account to ants, bees and the like.  Accounting for
altruistic behavior through inclusive fitness took about a hundred years
and the genius of William Hamilton.

It accounts for much weirdness and irrational behavior (such as suicide
bombers) when the "interest" of a person and their genes diverge.

Keith Henson