[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Mon Nov 6 02:00:45 UTC 2006

Keith wrote:

> A *few* of those with dyslexia can be effectively "cured" by external
> symmetry breaker.
>
> Put a cheap plastic ring on a hand and ask if reading toward or away from
> it helps.
>
> Worth trying.

Indeed it is. Another other technique that helps is the index card underneath the
line being read. This helps keep the eyes tracking along that line and helps when
coming back to the beginning of the next line. One of the complaints has been that
the eyes track back and the child re-reads the same line several times, which is
quite disruptive to the flow of the material.

Whole body movements can be used to try to avoid the glitch from brain to fingers
for writing. Arm movements in air, making the letter shapes. Drawing the letters in
a sand tray, feeling the letters made of different materials.

All these things can help, but the difficulty is still annoyingly there, just better
dealt with.

I guess it's like being color blind: one can describe it but it really doesn't quite
click unless one suffers from it. One learns to compensate, tricks tricks tricks.

My son complained that reading was like translating. All the time. And that
certainly breaks the flow of the content.

I am delighted that he has gotten as far as he has, but he has yet to find his
niche. My brother succeeded, but he is far brighter.

Regards,
MB