[extropy-chat] Effective relationships

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 01:45:19 UTC 2006

--- Ben Goertzel <ben at goertzel.org> wrote:

> However, this
> doesn't really matter much, because human emotional
> tendencies are
> strong, and due to the nature of human emotions
> interpersonal
> partnerships with >2 members are just not very
> stable....

Well neither is the traditional marriage these days.
According to http://www.divorcepeers.com/stats05.htm
The median life of a first marriage is 7 years and
subsequent marriages last even less. While an extended
domestic partnership may not be very stable, it
probably is not that much lower than a traditional
marriage. Furthermore most such long-term
relationships ought to be based on mutual
self-interest rather than on fickle fleeting emotions
any way.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."- Siddhartha Guatama aka Buddha.