[extropy-chat] Edge: Thank Goodness! By Daniel C. Dennett

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Nov 6 03:28:30 UTC 2006

>I have been doing a bit of ranting on this subject myself on the Harris
>page.
>http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20060916_sam_harris_rottweiler_barks/

Only about 1/4 of this made it to the comments log, so here is the whole thing;

Joan wrote:

<i>I have been stepping back from our dialogue to get sort of an overview,
instead of tripping over specifics too much. Keith, it seems you are
proposing a psychology of evolutionary behavior of man's warlike behavior.
In a nutshell, when faced with bleak prospects imminently or in the far
distance, such as Iran, you claim that man will resort to war to enhance
his probability of survival. </i>

Close, but not exactly on the mark.  You have to be extremely careful with
the wording in models if you want them to be useful for predicting the future.

And, you have to keep in mind that the psychological traits leading to wars
evolved in the Stone Age.  Going to war (as Azar Gat points out) wasn't
always the only option.  Sometimes people under resource pressure could
move far away.

"Enhance his probability of survival" isn't the right way to state it
either.  War is a chancy business today and was no less so when high tech
was sharp rocks.  For the individual, and even the kin group, war only came
about because the alternative was worse.

What resulted is the evolved psychological mechanisms we have for
amplifying xenophobic memes and going out to kill neighbors when our
ancestors perceived "hard times a-coming.  In the Stone Age such traits
statistically and over a long time worked to enhance "inclusive
fitness."  Inclusive fitness has genes "winning" even if many carriers of
the genes die, provided there are more carriers of the genes after a war
than would be the case taking an alternate course.

Perhaps an example from history would help.  Consider the Spartans at
Thermopylae:

" . . . as well as a symbol of courage against extremely overwhelming odds.
The heroic sacrifice of the Spartans and the Thespians has captured the
minds of many throughout the ages and has given birth to many cultural
references as a result."

. . .

"Knowing the likely outcome of the battle, Leonidas selected his men on one
simple criterion: he took only men who had fathered sons that were old
enough to take over the family responsibilities of their fathers. The
rationale behind this criterion was that the Spartans knew their death was
almost certain at Thermopylae. Plutarch mentions, in his Sayings of Spartan
Women, that after encouraging her husband before his departure for the
battlefield, Gorgo, the wife of Leonidas I asked him what she should do
when he had left. To this, Leonidas replied:

     'Marry a good man, and have good children.'"

******

Spooky!  Almost as if the Greeks understood EP and genetics.  Perhaps
living closer to the Stone Age and incessant war they would find it easier
to understand compared to modern people.

Leonidas' death <b>did,/b> save Greek genes, specifically the Spartans',
more specifically his genes through his children and even more specifically
the genes of his male children who would have been killed by the invaders.

Along with the preceding victory at Marathon some ten years earlier, "their
victory endowed the Greeks with a faith in their destiny that was to endure
for three centuries, during which western culture was born."

<i>Maybe because of certain universal moral precepts, such as in the NY
Times article Maani cited like the prohibition against unjustified killing,
men develop certain ideologies that give a sort of morally acceptable
permission to suspend these precepts to engage in war. Communism and
religions are two such ideologies. You refer to such ideologies as memes
that people adapt and act on to preserve their self- interest of survival. </i>

You make it sound conscious, it's not.

<i>EP seems to be an inter-disciplinary study of sorts encompassing
psychology, anthropology, and biology </i>

Not exactly, you are mixing levels.  Biology (that is evolutionary biology)
is the level upon which EP builds, like biology builds on the chemistry level.

Anthropology (and the rest of the social sciences) are at a higher
level.  EP is essentially putting a foundation under a lot of formerly
free-floating disciplines.

"Evolutionary psychology is an approach to psychology, in which knowledge
and principles from evolutionary biology are put to use in research on the
structure of the human mind. It is not an area of study, like vision,
reasoning, or social behavior. It is a way of thinking about psychology
that can be applied to any topic within it.

"In this view, the mind is a set of information-processing machines that
were designed by natural selection to solve adaptive problems faced by our
hunter-gatherer ancestors. This way of thinking about the brain, mind, and
behavior is changing how scientists approach old topics, and opening up new
ones.

http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/research/cep/primer.html

<i>as I gather you are suggesting that these memes may reflect certain
chemical dispositions.

<i>Some musings

If memes do not reflect a biology, how are they different from belief
systems? </i>

Memes are at a higher level yet.  They depend on the existence of creatures
able to learn information patterns from each other.  And beliefs <b>are</b>
memes.  Can one animal pass along information patterns (often behaviors) to
another?  Memes are what they pass, pure replicating information, elements
of culture, ideas, beliefs--all fit the concept of a meme.

<i>This brings me to my broader question-What does this meme theory give us
that prior theories have not?  </i>

Clear, accurate models are of vast importance in reducing human
misery.  Consider the germ theory of disease as an example.  Very little
progress was made before Pasteur and Koch developed that theory.

<i>Anthropologists already speak about how belief systems develop, spread,
assist man and die out in tribes. </i>

When you use "meme" instead of "idea" the replication aspect is
important.  It's a model to help explain the persistence of elements of
culture.

In one of my earliest meme papers I noted (without a biological or EP
explanation) that economic downturns are accompanied by upswings in
neo-Nazi movements in the US.

The essence of memetics has been around at least a century.  It is
encapsulated in "Ideas have a life of their own."  If you take that serious
and apply what we know about living things to ideas, you have memetics.

<i>Another musing
 all wars minimally are wars of perceived self-interest. </i>

Close again, but not exactly on the mark.  It's hard to do, but to
understand this you need to get your mind to look at the world from the
"viewpoint of genes."  _Selfish Gene_ and the more difficult _Extended
Phenotype_ by Richard Dawkins are still a very good place to get this
essential but alien viewpoint.

Hunter-gatherer wars were in the self-interest of <b>genes</b>.  More
recent wars, particularly the southwest corn farmers 800 years ago, may not
be.  (Side effects due to a different level of technology caused them to
die out over a vast area.)

<i>All wars need perceived moral permission prior to engagement and during
engagement. History tells us that there have been religious wars. And there
have been wars that do not pertain to religion per se. My sense is that you
are claiming that no matter the smokescreen that gives permission, all wars
are fought with the bleak future motivation as the paramount one for the
war. </i>

It isn't just permission, it is an essential part of synching
hunter-gatherer warriors up into a killing frenzy.

<i>Now I can agree theoretically but it is a stretch
Iran being a case in
point
</i>

Every case (post agriculture) has to be considered very carefully.  While
humans still have the psychological traits honed in the Stone Age, the
environment is very different.  For example, the vast majority of human
evolution was when our ancestors lived in bands of under 100 people.  The
last really big war (WW II) involved hundreds of millions.  It is not
obvious if or how this difference in scale modulates the traits.  Certainly
a million times more population to draw leaders from is going to get ones
further out on the bell curve, for example, Genghis Khan,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genghis_Khan,

<i>Iran has the option of developing nuclear energy peaceably with IAEA
inspections etc, to prepare for the day that the oil wells run dry but Iran
has not opted to do so
it has opted for belligerence
Palestinians have not
opted for security and prosperity but have also opted for belligerence... </i>

Option and opted imply rational thinking.  The essence of the theory is
that the ability of humans to think rationally gets trashed as they go into
war mode.  This is one of the sad legacies out of our hunter-gatherer
past.  If either of your examples were thinking rationally, there would be
a major push for birth control.

<i>perhaps the bleak theory has to be expanded to not only include material
survival, i.e., gathering your protein but also perceived psychological
survival i.e., a bleak psychological future theory of war.. </i>

In _Influence: the new psychology of modern persuasion_ (1984 and more
recent editions) Robert Cialdini, goes into a great deal of psychological
background.  One of these (using the three bucket experiment) is the
importance of relative changes.  It is clear from the lack of revolts in
India that grinding poverty (the lifelong prospect for a large segment of
the population) won't spark war mode.

Why?

Because the future looks no bleaker than the conditions they have lived in
all their lives, and people tend to respond to <b>relative</b> change.

<i>This may explain Kim Jong Il, Ahmadinejad, Caesar and Alexander
.</i>

Perhaps.  We should not forget that our view of wars are <b>highly</b>
biased, essentially our knowledge of wars is since the invention of
writing, which is to say 6000 years of the 6 million since we and the
chimps parted ways.

<i>Lastly, although religions are exploited to give permission to engage in
war, it is important to note that religions are not founded with the
primary end to give man permission to fight wars. </i>

I think there have been cases where religions were founded to support wars.

<i>They have other more immediate functions and are generally called upon
to meet other of man's complex needs. Religions are bastardized. It is
crucial in scholarly study to give an authentic depiction of the intent of
religion and other ideologies, distinguishing their paramount intent from
their misuse or corruption when making judgments about value of these
ideologies. </i>

I seriously think your concern is directed to the wrong level.  Persisting
at that level will get you no further than being concerned about fever
would have prevented epidemic diseases.

Religions are a consequence of human psychological traits.  Where, did
those come from?

" My contention, simply put, is that the evolutionary approach is the only
approach in the social and behavioral sciences that deals with why, in an
ultimate sense, people behave as they do. As such, it often unmasks the
universal hypocrisies of our species, peering behind self-serving notions
about our moral and social values to reveal the darker side of human
nature." (Silverman 2003)

You can say that religions arise from human needs, but it's the same
question, where did those "needs" come from?

Pascal Boyer doesn't take it far enough, but I suggest he is taking steps
in the right direction.

" . . . anthropologist Pascal Boyer that discusses the evolutionary origins
of religious concepts. Through an examination of the mind's inference
systems - how they work and how they have been shaped over time - Boyer
explains how it is that we have the religious concepts we do, and why they
have been so culturally successful. Boyer presents evidence from many
specialized disciplines including anthropology, cognitive science,
linguistics, and evolutionary biology to support the idea that a
naturalistic explanation of religion is possible; moreover, such an
approach is necessary if the field and study of religion is going to make
any progress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_Explained

<i>Otherwise they are misrepresented. We have seen some heinous tragedies
in science but we would not want to say that because of them that these
tragedies were this is the purpose of science. Think thalidomide here. </i>

True, though there is more to the story.

"In 1964, a French physician named Jacob Sheskin was trying to help a
critically-ill male patient with erythema nodosum leprosum (ENL), a very
painful complication of leprosy. He looked throughout his small hospital
for anything that might help his patient stop aching long enough to sleep.
He came across a bottle of thalidomide tablets, and remembered that the
drug had been effective in helping mentally ill patients sleep - and also
that it was banned. Thinking he had nothing to lose, Sheskin gave the man
two tablets of thalidomide. The patient slept for hours, and he felt good
enough to get out of bed without aid when he woke up. The result was soon
followed by more favorable experiences, followed by a clinical trial. Dr.
Sheskin's drug of last resort revolutionized the care of leprosy, and led
to the closing of most leprosy hospitals."

<i>It was my engineer husband's idea about the earthquakes and tsunami's as
a type of nature's population control
I think this could be right because
in the grand scheme of things, population control does not have to be
causally linked to a given population, just the way of nature. </i>

As a guess he is a civil engineer.  Most of the other engineering
specialties tend to be more restrictive using of the word.

<i>Hepburn/Tracy...humor, but perhaps as women's attention turns from
childbearing and home to the corporate sector etc there will be rise in
female aggression and hence in the total amount of aggression in society

think of it like the pressure/ volume law governing gas, as one decreases,
the other increases and vice versa
</i>

It could be.  But you would have to factor in fewer wars to see if the net
result was desirable.

<i>The danger with the decrease in reproduction as a way to stem war is
that reproduction is a delicate balance. If reproduction declines too much,
the bleak future again emerges and then war, according to your theory. </i>

That would be really perverse.  I can't think of an example where a country
with a declining population went to war.  In any case, Japan will provide a
test case shortly.

<i>Russia may be a good crucible to study here</i>

Possibly.  I have not given a lot of thought to the problems in
Russia.  Some of them are probably genetic such as sensitivity to
alcohol.  Alcohol seems to have come late to the Russians and they are
still in the process of genetically getting used to it.  (Unexposed
populations range up to 95% alcoholics--if they can get it.)

<i>and the more affluent European nations like Sweden and Germany whose
many immigrants are not melding and working to bolster the economy but
actually are causing more of a threat to their viability. </i>

France has certainly had problems of this sort.

Keith Henson

(sorry about the HTML tags)