[extropy-chat] Effective relationships

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Nov 6 04:53:34 UTC 2006

Anders Sandberg wrote:

> Eliezer pointed out that there is a state one cannot get out of, being
> dead. One can of course run the whole thing with a constant inflow of new
> singles and people dropping off, but given that the death probability
> appears to be one order of magnitude smaller than the divorce probability
> these days I think it can be safely ignored.

Even ignoring death, the ergodic distribution of dyads, triads, and
tetrads does not give you information about the relative stability of
dyads, triads, and tetrads unless you also know the formation
probabilities of dyads, triads, and tetrads.

E.g:  Assume that all changed relationships are from x-ad to single or
vice versa (i.e., ignore transition probabilities between
relationships.)  6 people have a 99% chance of forming three dyads and a
1% chance of forming two triads.  A dyad is stable for 7 years.  A triad
is stable for 63 years.  Ergodic ratio of dyads to triads will be on the
loose order of 16 to 1 (I would think), but triads are 9 times as stable.