[extropy-chat] Detectives and red herrings (was Survivaltangent)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Nov 7 06:51:52 UTC 2006

Lee wrote:
> Slawomir wrote
> > Things->Body->Brain
> >
> > But then, someone like Lee Corbin comes along and claims
> this is not
> > enough and extends the process:
> >
> > Things->Body->Brain->Pattern->VBMs
> >
> > But then, Jef Allbright comes along and says this is not
> > enough/correct and decides to extend this process further
> still until it looks like this:
> >
> > Things->Body->Brain->Pattern->VBMs->Agency

I feel silly even considering such a precarious ontology, let alone
refuting it.

Slawomir, it's the category error again.  I said nothing about
*synchronic* personal identity, namely how we determine a unique person.
I did propose a theory based on agency providing a more coherent and
encompassing understanding of *diachronic* personal identity, namely how
we determine that two separate observations are of the same person.

As I said earlier, it is ironic that people glibly refer to Max's thesis
while demonstrating lack of understanding of this key title word.

> Mind you, apparently Jef is still working on his statement,
> which a number of us are eager to hear, unless I missed it.

Lee, I sent it to the list Sunday afternoon.  Looking forward to your
comments.

- Jef