[extropy-chat] A Diversity Re: Just curious, it's not natural!

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 7 11:05:43 UTC 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 0:57, Anna Taylor wrote:

> My point was that "procreation", the last I heard is
> still a woman's choice.  My definition of procreation
> is the choice that I and my partner, (who are both
> heterosexual) have chosen to engage in a partnership
> based on love, respect, honesty and have chosen to
> procreate to keep my meme, belief and memories alive.
> Are you saying that this is not associated with the
> word "marriage"?

What makes me curious is this: your whole post seemed to hinge on the
fact that somehow procreation deserves some protected sandbox in
which to happen, that sandbox referred to as 'marriage.'  This, as I
understand your opinion, justifies denying certain legal rights to
couples that are not m/f pairings.  Do you then also recommend
denying the protection of marriage to childless couples or couples
who are proven infertile?  What about late-life marriages? (i.e.
people who get married in their 60s)

As a litmus for life-pairing and partnership, procreation seems like
a pretty silly yardstick (says the guy with the 3-year old)

Brent

--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein