[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 7 15:05:49 UTC 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 5:11, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 3:15 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:
>
>> Eugen wrote
>>

>>> Not only does demographics limit the quantity, the quality has been
>>> going down monotonously since middle last century, or even before.
>>
>> What do you mean by this?  IQ has been going up (cf. Flynn effect).
>>

> You could fool me by what I see of people around me in multiple walks
> of life.  Maybe they started scoring IQ on the curve.

IQ is, as others have pointed out, an incomplete measurement. Someone
here, perhaps Eugen, suggested a concept of 'effectiveness' as a
complement to IQ.  I think that what Samantha is observing is not so
much a dumbing down of society as a 'motivating down' of society.

>>> The job market does the rest to discourage entering technical
>>> fields.
>>> The message is certainly loud and clear enough, and it's being
>>> heard.
>>
>> How does the job market discourage entering technical field?
>> I'm not following you.
>>

> If you want to do cutting edge R&D the well-renumerated opportunities
> are thin on the ground.

Oh, and its even worse than that! :)  Remuneration is the least of
your worries.  No matter where you do R&D, you're becoming
increasingly constrained in how you do it and what you do it on.  I
am a researcher in the central R&D facility in a medium-sized private
company.  Any research I do has a less than 1% chance of ever being
published - patents and trade secrets only, please! - and I am
financially incentivized to only focus on short-term product-focused
development.  The fact that I'm working on a long-term research
project is because of sheer cussedness and a belief that ultimately,
my research will pay off big for the company - but that's my and my
colleagues' choice to gamble with our careers. Add to that the
disparity in pay even between an experienced, successful inventor/
researcher and a entry-level "profitable-growth strategist,"  and the
result is a huge flight in manpower and talent out of R&D and into
more lucrative positions.  That, to me, is a clear example of how the
job market discourages entry into a technical field - although, more
properly, it discourages remaining in a technical field.

You also see a lot of bachelor's level engineers and scientists
opting for law and business schools these days, without any
intervening stint working in a technical field.  This trend has been
commented on in C&E News as well as in Physics Today.

All little off topic for this -

I'm also one of the folks at my company who have a responsibility for
licensing and acquiring intellectual property. What I observe is that
universities are increasingly pressuring professors to focus on
patentable research, in order to generate revenue for the
university.  The anarchocapitalist take would be that this is a good
thing, since these institutions should be self-funding, but I argue,
with ample evidence, that investments in basic and fundamental
research have been necessary to drive these more applications focused
advances.  With the universities biasing themselves this way, I have
become quite concerned with future progress in science and technology

--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein